Sunday, June 1, 2014

Cracks in the System



Looking back at the end of this school year, it has been harder and more chaotic than I could have ever imagined.  And still, if we give up on good teaching, we have lost. 
Through the year, I read endlessly powerful posts and articles about what is wrong with what is being forced on our schools. I read letters from strong teachers and principals explaining why they have to quit. I heard about famous educators and media stars coming out against the insanity. Nearly everyone I know considered quitting. But we made it through and many of us are staying. 
Now, we can't just wait and hope for protests, letters, re-posting on facebook and twitter to have an effect.  When we find ways to provide teaching and learning that matter for our kids'  lives, we are resisting the juggernaut of the billion dollar testing industry's impact on reducing our students’ learning opportunities. We have to resist where we can in our classrooms and school buildings.  
We join a bigger struggle for social justice that has been going on seemingly forever and continues in many spheres of our lives today.We can learn from the courage of those who have persevered in the past. If I'm afraid of consequences, what about slaves who learned how to read in the face of sure dire punishment if caught? What do I risk compared to that?
Last month in a turnaround school, every teacher I talked with said something like this: At the end of the day I want to think I did a good job for kids. I want to feel like they learned in my class. I don’t feel that way right now.
 Where are the cracks in the system where students can learn not just for a test but for their  lives? Starting today I am on a mission to reach beyond the people I've been working with in person to spread what is giving us hope to persevere:
1.  stories of how teachers and principals are finding time and space for experiential and project based learning, collaborative learning, deep discussions and questioning, performance based assessment of learning and so much more that engages and develops our children as human beings.  
2. sources of strength and inspiration from within and beyond our field and time.
 This is my protest. Good teaching in our public schools will endure. We refuse to let it end.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, Marjorie. I'm so glad someone is doing this. Thank you!

June 2, 2014 at 8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home