Monday, June 29, 2009

Teaching is Political

Politics
1. the theory and practice of forming and running organizations connected with government 2. Activity within a political party or organization that is concerned with debate and the creation and carrying out of distinctive policies rather than merely the administration of the state 3. The totality of interrelationships in a particular area of life involving power, authority, or influence, and capable of manipulation. 4. The tactics and strategy to gain power in a group or organization.
Encarta World English Dictionary

For a long time, I’ve noticed how often teachers dismiss the possibility of action about something they don’t like by saying, “Oh that’s just politics.” Or that some part of our work is “too political,” and should be avoided. We all nod our heads in agreement that we will stay on our own side of the wall. But I’ve wondered about the consequences of this avoidance. Even though the work I did as a volunteer in the Obama campaign was near the bottom rung of the hierarchy, requiring minimal skill and background, I felt like I was part of something with potential to help kids more than in all my years in schools where my job is generally to help them learn how to succeed in a mainstream world that presents obstacles and challenges they have to keep overcoming every day of their lives.

I think of a girl I know who all the teachers celebrate yet everyone also worries over the toll and cost to her well being for her determination to pull out of the situation into which she was born, in which she lives “near the projects,” to go to Asia to shadow a doctor, to be the top of her class, involved in every opportunity for leadership or broader experience. She is usually worried herself, rarely satisfied, and often conflicted.

She expresses concern for the kids in her neighborhood who, she says, have given up trying cause they don’t see how they can make it. She says a lot of teachers care but they just don’t know how to do it. Because I have seen kids surprise me, I believe that it is possible for every child to be reached with the right teacher yet even the most gifted teachers I know have stories of students they still worry about who did not find their way to succeed in school enough to help them in their futures.

I have always been told as a facilitator and consultant to openly steer conversations away from those areas where members of the group have no authority, control or influence. This seemed like such a sensible clear position. Working in urban schools when we talk about our students who are not succeeding in the school, it is inevitable that someone will bring up issues that are beyond us and that are at least in part a consequence of governmental policies that impact working conditions, housing, cost-of-living, health care access, environmental health.

How can a school fight and win against the larger society’s system of power and privilege for some and oppression and struggle for others? Has this time of trying to accommodate to our lack of authority, control or influence passed? What can I do about that big category of what is beyond my sphere of authority, control and influence?

If we had a different system, a different government with different priorities and policies, the price of school success wouldn’t be so costly to our children’s personal well being. If the world outside of school walls supported our students to succeed, as much as many of us do inside the school walls, what would we see for them?

I don’t yet know where this attitude will lead me. I do know that I will no longer take it as a pass when someone dismisses our obligation to address a challenge as “just politics.” I am beginning to engage in the politics that determine the situation outside our school walls that impact our students’ opportunities at least as much as what we are able to provide for each student in the classrooms and hallways of buildings.

I know that many colleagues are involved at various levels of policy discussions, yet I wonder if there is a way for us to be more connected with the other issues that impact our students. I am wondering about my obligation as well as my capacity, to put time and effort into using my skills from education for community organizing, to do something about how our government impacts our students’ outlook for a healthy, safe and meaningful life.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home